A delightful mini jelly spongy cake to impress your child
This is a mini cake recipe that I called it “dinosaur eggs” to my son. It looks like an egg is hatching in the mud. 😅 This mini spongy cake is perfect to make for kid birthday party or simply to surprise your child! No butter or cow milk in this recipe.
There are 3 parts of ingredients in this recipe. The base of the cake is made by cocoa sponge cake, top with soft soy milk jelly then drizzle passion fruit syrup on top. I made this cake the day before and have it the next day so passion fruit syrup is well soaked through the cake.
To make the recipe, we have to start with making the dinosaur eggs which are the soy milk jelly. I made 6 half dino eggs using silicone round shape chocolate mold, about 3 cm diameter and 1.5 cm deep. This jelly need to refrigerate for about 2 hours for setting. While waiting for the jelly to set, I make the cake batter by mix in eggs and sugar then beat until light and fluffy then sift in flour and cocoa powder, and bake for 20 minutes. Lastly, just cook the passion fruit syrup and add water and agar agar powder to thicken it, you can skip this step by simply pour the syrup on the cake.
|Preparation Time: 10 minutes||Cooking Time: 25 minutes||Serving: 6|
|A : Soy milk jelly|
– 1 cup soy milk
– 2 tbsp sugar
– 3/4 tbsp agar agar powder
|B : Cake batter|
– 4 eggs
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup self raising flour, sifted
– 1 tbsp cocoa powder
|C : Passion fruit syrup|
– 2 canned of 170g canned passion fruit pulp in syrup
– 4 tbsp water
– 2 tsp agar agar powder
- Place soy milk and agar agar powder in a pot, turn on medium heat stir constantly until the milk is hot but not boil, add in sugar continue stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer soy milk jelly to a bowl and let it cool down for a few minutes, pour warm milk in the silicone mold and store in refrigerator to set.
- Preheat oven to 170c, spray some oil on your cake pan about 20*20 cm and place a baking sheet on top.
- In a cake mixer, add eggs and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes then slowly add in sugar and beat on high speed until eggs is whiten in colour and fluffy.
- Add in sifted flour and cocoa powder beat on low medium heat until well combined.
- Pour cake batter into cake pan and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick came out clear. Transfer to a wire rack for cooling.
- In a small bowl, add in water and agar agar powder, stir well then transfer the agar water to a pot with syrup and turn on medium heat until syrup is boil and agar agar powder is dissolved. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- When the cake is cool and jelly is set, use a round cookies cutter to cut out 6 round cake, place each round cake in a glass and top jelly on each cake, drizzle passion fruit syrup evenly on each cake and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
If you like this recipe, you may also like jelly fruits cake
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤. I love seeing your creations!