A quick and simple fried rice recipe that ready in 15 minutes
Turmeric is a type of spice that is widely use in many curries recipes. It looks very similar to ginger but brighten in colour. It has a warm and bitter taste while ginger tends to be more spicy. Turmeric is also a colouring agent that uses in breads and cakes. Turmeric powder can be found in your local supermarkets. Fresh turmeric on the others hand are mostly available in Asian grocery stores. I’m using turmeric powder in this recipe as the spice powder is easy to store and last quite well. Opt for bottle packaging if you can as it save you from looking for a seal bag or airtight container.
Fried rice is a common dish that most people eat at least once or twice a week. The key to make a perfect fried rice is using cold rice. Just cook the rice ahead the night before and let’s chill in the refrigerator until ready to use. This give your rice a better texture and not mushy. If you don’t have cold rice handy, simply spread out your warm rice on a flat plate until it reach room temperature and store in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
To prepare the turmeric rice, add turmeric powder and a pinch of salt in your freshly cooked rice, then gently mix it until the rice well coated in golden yellow colour. Careful not to break the rice. Let it cool down to room temperature then store it in the refrigerator.
I’m using Chinese sausages and eggs with vegetables in this fried rice recipe. If you like a vegetarian version, substitute the sausage with tofu. 😉 Make sure you pan seared the tofu separately before adding into the fried rice.
|Preparation Time: 5 minutes||Cooking Time: 10 minutes||Serving: 4|
– 2 cup of Jasmine Rice, cooked and store in refrigerator the night before
– 1 tbsp turmeric powder
– 2 gloves garlic, minced
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 3 eggs, whisked
– 3 Chinese sausages (Lup Chong), sliced
– 1 carrot, diced
– 1 cup frozen baby peas
– 1 red capsicum, diced
– 1 cucumber, sliced
– 2 tbsp soy sauce
– 1 tbsp sesame oil
– 11/2 tsp salt + pinch of salt
– 1/2 tsp white pepper
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* extra salt and pepper if desired
- Wash and cook Jasmine rice according to packet. You can either cook it in a rice cooker or a pot. When the rice is cooked, add turmeric powder and salt then incorporate it well. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. (best prepared the night before)
- In a small bowl, whisk in eggs. Prepare and cut up all the ingredients and set aside. Heat up oil in a wok, fried the eggs to well done and transfer to a plate.
- Use the same wok, add sausages and garlic and pan fry on medium heat for a minute until sausages is slightly brown, add carrot, peas and capsicum, cook for another 2 minutes with lid on. Add a tbsp of water if it’s too dry.
- Transfer turmeric rice into the wok and stir well, add soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Turn on high heat and continue stir fry until fragrance and the rice is well incorporated. Sprinkle with fresh cut chillies and spring onion if desired.
- Serve warm with sliced cucumbers and fried eggs.
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤ if you have an Instagram account. I love seeing your creations!