Delicious gluten free vegetarian rice pie – 8 months + BLW friendly, served 4
Did you ever cook too much rice and wonder what to do with the leftover? Apart from cooking the popular fried rice, you might want to try this rice pie recipe.
This rice pie is different with the Italian style sweet pie that normally served as a traditional Easter dessert. It is closer to a pizza pie by using crust rice as the base and top with cheddar cheese and fresh vegetables. If you are running out of puff pastry or simply want to make a quick lunch using your leftover rice, give this a go!
This delicious rice pie recipe is very easy to made. It is perfect for a weekend stay at home lunch or bring to a potluck party. You can literary top any vegetables of your choice and also add meat or seafood if you prefer a more fancy version.
I usually cook vegetarian meals a few times a week. Today is my usual vegetarian day, since my husband is away half day at work and my elder is not attending day care, I try to eliminate my cooking time and prepare one simple meal for the 4 of us 😁
The vegetables that I’m using in this recipe is leek, carrot, mushrooms and tomatoes. First, make the rice crust by assemble the rice on the pie tray and bake for 10 minutes. At the same time, I cook the leek and carrot in a pan and set it aside until the base is ready. Evenly place the vegetables on top of the rice then place the sliced tomatoes surrounding the pan and then sprinkle cheese on top. I skipped the first step in making the rice crust and just bake the rice and vegetable all together as my younger baby is having this meal. As you can see from the picture, the rice is still loose and soft so it is easier for him to chew and digest. But who doesn’t like crusty rice base, so go for it and bake the base until it is nice and crust.😉
|Prep Time: 5 minutes||Cooking Time : 30 minutes||Serving : 4 (2 slides each)|
– 1 1/2 cup cold rice (prepared the night before)
– 2 gloves garlic, minced
– 1 leek, thinly sliced
– 1 carrot, diced
– 4 mushrooms, sliced
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1/2 tsp parsley flake
– 1/2 tsp ginger powder
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
– 1 tomato, sliced
– 1 cup cheddar cheese, 250 ml
– some baby spinach to serve along
– salt and pepper if desired
-Preheat oven to 200 C, brush some oil on the pie pan, evenly press down the cold rice on the pan and bake for 10 minutes until rice is crust and slightly brown.
– Cut up all the vegetables and set aside. In a pan, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil, add garlic, carrot, leek and mushrooms, stir well then add parsley, ginger powder and pepper and stir fry for 2 minutes until vegetable is cooked. Set aside to cool while waiting for the rice crust
– Remove the rice crust from the oven, add and evenly distribute the cooked vegetables on top. Place sliced tomatoes on the side and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of the vegetables. Bake in oven for another 20 minutes until cheese surface is brown.
-Let it cool for 10 minutes before remove from the pan and serve along with fresh baby spinach. Add salt and pepper if desired.
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤. I love seeing your creations!