Basil beef is one of the must order dish when you dine in a Thai restaurant. Basil is a sweet and pungent cooking herb that used in many types of cuisines. It is rich in vitamins and a good source of calcium and magnesium. Beef on the other hand is rich in protein, iron and vitamins. This recipe is perfect with the combination of both.
This 15 minute meal is easy to prepare and hence is perfect to serve as lunch or dinner along with rice or noodles. This recipe is chilli free so it is toddler friendly, my son who just turned 3 couldn’t resist it.
I’m using rump steak in this recipe which is a lean cut of a beef, healthier but also reasonable in price. You can use any part of the beef. You will need about 4 pieces of steak which is roughly 500 grams in this recipe. You don’t need to marinade the meat, just whisk up the sauce and set aside, pan seared the beef and add the sauce into the pan at the final cooking stage, as simple as that! So, let get start!
|Preparation Time : 5 minutes||Cooking Time : 6-8 minutes||Serve : 4|
– Rump steak 500g
– 1 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves
– 4 gloves of garlic, minced
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil (I used rice bran oil) + more for pan fried
|Sauce : |
-1 tbsp soy sauce
-1 tbsp fish sauce
-1 tbsp sesame oil
– 1 tsp dark soy sauce
– 2 tbsp water
– 1 tsp sugar
– 1 lemon, juiced
- In a bowl, add all the sauces except lemon juice and whisk. Set aside.
- Remove the stem from the basil, place the basil leafs in a bowl.
- In a pan, add some oil for pan fry and turn on high heat. When the oil is hot, pan seared the steak, 2 minutes each side. You will get medium rare at this stage. Place the steak on a plate.
- Wipe off excess oil from the pan, add the sauce and garlic and simmer on low heat until the sauce is slightly thicken then place the steak back into the pan and cook for a minute. Turn off the heat and add lemon juice. Serve warm with rice or noodles with some vegetables.
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤. I love seeing your creations!