Soft and moist red cabbage sponge cake! Take your classic sponge cake to the next level!
You probably have tried many different flavour of sponge cakes like vanilla, chocolate, orange, strawberry, carrot, lemon etc but have you ever try red cabbage sponge cake? Red cabbage is very high in vitamin C and rich in antioxidant. The common way of consume cabbage is either use it in salad, slow cook or stir fry pairing with savoury dish.
It might sound unusual to you by adding cabbage in a dessert recipe. But seriously this vegetable cake is so healthy and nutritious. It is definitely the best idea to incorporate this secret ingredient in a recipe and feed the picky eater in your household 😉
This cabbage sponge cake has a good texture and moisture, light and soft but not overly sweet. It is also very pretty with light creamy purple in colour. This recipe is very simple to make and I start with using a smaller ring pan which is 22cm*9cm in size to see how’s the result turns out. I wasn’t disappointed, pretty happy with the outcomes!
So, let’s try it and let me know your thought!
|Cooking Time: 25 minutes||Serve: 8|
-1 cup cooked red cabbage, pureed
– 2 eggs
– 1/4 cup, 60ml sugar
-50g butter, room temperature
– pinch of salt
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- Preheat oven 170 C. Prepare you cake pan by placing a baking paper on the bottom of the pan, do not grease.
- Finely chop the cabbage and steam it for 10 minutes until soft. Blend it with a hand mixer. Set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs in cake mixer on high speed, slowly add in sugar beat until mixture is light and creamy and the colour is lighten. About 5 minutes
- Add soft butter, salt and milk. turn to medium speed and beat until mixture is well combined. Add cabbage puree and stir well. Finally add flour and beat until it well incorporated.
- Transfer cake batter to your cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes back clean.
- Remove cake pan from the oven and turn the pan up side down, let it cool completely before removing the cake from the pan. Serve with some fresh fruits or cream.
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤ if you have an Instagram account. I love seeing your creations!