Warm and delicious Korean chicken soup with ginseng herbal and jujube dates
I’m a big fan of soup! I love any kind of soups to serve along with main meal or by its own. Chicken soup is one of my favourite and I cook it every often. There are many types of chicken soup; either a creamy broth to pair with bread or a clear broth to goes with rice or noodles. You name it!
The chicken soup recipe that I’d like to share with you is Korean Ginseng Chicken soup, Samyetang. Ginseng is a root of a plant in the genus Panax that known to be one of the most popular herbal remedies in Asian cultures. It is believed to boost your energy and immune system. It taste slightly bitter and earthy with a touch of sweetness.
The way a traditional Samyetang recipe is cooked with whole chicken that stuffed with sweet rice, ginseng, jujube date, garlic and ginger. You need to soak the rice in advance before you stuff it in the chicken cavity along with others ingredients. This will make the soup thicker and creamier in texture.
Here is my super easy cheat’s Samyetang. As ginseng is not easy to find in many Western country, there is a convenient Samyetang kit which you can get it from your local Asian grocery shop. This kit includes all the herbs ingredients that you need in making the soup. I always stocks up a few packets for emergency. Instead of using a whole chicken for the soup, I’m using some chicken drumsticks about 1kg for one kit, to serve 2. Just add another kit and multiply the ingredients if your serving more than 2. I add extra jujube dates with some garlic and spring onion, then cook my soup in my multi-function pressure cooker for about 25 minutes while the rice is cooked separately in the rice cooker. These 2 cookers are my live saver as you literally don’t need to do anything until they are ready! Serve with kimchi or any others vegetables as you like!
This recipe is so simple, delicious and nutritious, my type of comfort food all year round! This is surely your next handy and healthy dinner meal idea to cook for your family!
|Preparation Time: 5 minutes||Cooking Time: 30 minutes||Serve: 2|
– 1 Samyetang kit
– 1 kg chicken drumsticks, about 7-8
– 6 cups of water
– handful of jujube dates. about 10
– 5 cloves of garlic
– 3 spring onions, cut in 2 inches length plus extra to garnish
– salt and pepper to taste
– steam rice to serve
- Remove the ingredients from the kit and place in a bowl, run with water and soak it in hot water for 5-10 minutes.
- While waiting, prepare the others ingredients and cook your rice in the rice cooker or according to the packet instruction.
- Finely chop one spring onion and set aside.
- In a pot, place all the ingredients with water, water level should just cover the chicken and bring to boil on medium high heat for 5 minutes, skim off the foam and cover with lid. Continue simmer on low medium heat for another 25 minute. If you have a multi-function pressure cooker, you can also cook your soup under the soup setting for about 25 minutes like I did.
- Serve warm with steam rice, kimchi and other vegetables that are desired. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤. I love seeing your creations!