This wonderful fruity and light lychee roll cake is perfect for any occasions! It is also beautiful to look at!
Lychee roll cake, a classic tropical fruit pairing with an airy, light and fluffy Asian style sponge cake topped with lychee, jelly and pistachio. This cake has a very similar look with swiss roll but instead of rolling the cake into a pinwheel, the cake is rolled up in a circle and filled with whipped cream and jelly. This delightful and beautiful roll cake is perfect for any occasion.
Asian roll cake or swiss roll are often less sweetened compared to the Western swiss roll. It has a very light and fluffy cake texture that is very similar to chiffon cake, another type of Asian spongy cake that are round in shape and bigger in size with a ring in the middle. To find out more about chiffon cake, you may refer to my Tri-colour Chiffon Cake.
To make this lychee roll cake, you need to prepare the cake batter, jelly and the whipped cream filling.
Unlike the standard western cake where you could beat the eggs with other ingredients all at once, you need to separate the egg yolk and white and beat them separately to achieve the airy, soft, light and fluffy spongy cake texture. When beating the egg white, you must use chilled eggs white and ensure your mixer is grease free to make the meringue. You then beat the eggs yolk and others ingredients to make the cake batter. Finally, slowly incorporate the meringue into the cake batter using a whisk to fold it in.
Prepare the jelly by cooking the agar agar powder with lychee syrup and coconut milk. Transfer half of the mixture to a jelly/chocolate mold for topping decoration and pour the remaining in a square pan for the filling.
Whipped Cream Filling
Beat heavy cream with sugar then incorporate agar agar water to form a firmer cream base.
|Preparation Time: 40 minutes||Cooking Time: 20 minutes||Serve: 6|
– 3 large eggs white, chilled
– 2 tbsp sugar
– 3 large eggs yolk
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1 tbsp oil
– pinch of salt
– 2/3 cup sifted cake flour
– 1 tsp lychee extract (optional)
– 1 cup lychee syrup from the canned lychee
– 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
– 1 1/2 tbsp agar agar powder
– 1/4 cup sugar (optional) I didn’t add
– 300g heavy cream
– 2 tbsp sugar
– 1/8 tsp agar agar powder
– 2 tbsp water
– canned lychee
– heart shaped jelly
– pistachio, chopped
- Preheat oven to 170C, place a baking sheet on the baking pan. If you have a roll pan you can always use it. Otherwise, just fold the 4 edges of the sheet for about an inch to hold the batter. 25cm*17cm in size
- To make cake batter : Beat eggs white in a cake mixer on high speed and slowly add in 2 tbsp of sugar. Beat until eggs white reach stiff peak about 4-5 minutes. Transfer meringue to a bowl and set aside.
- Pour egg yolks to the mixer and slowly add in 1/4 cup sugar, on high speed beat until mixture is lighten in colour about 2-3 minutes. Mix in veg oil, lychee extract and salt, beat until well incorporated and creamy in texture. Add sifted cake flour and on low speed beat until batter is smooth with no lump.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, use a whisk to gently incorporate to lighten the batter. Add in the remaining egg whites and gently whisk until it well combined. Do not over beat.
- Pour the cake batter on top of the baking sheet and spread out evenly using a spatula.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until toothpick come back clean and cake spring back when touch.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle some icing sugar on top of a clean towel. Then place the warm cake on top of a clean baking sheet with clean face down and slowly peel of the baking sheet. Flip the cake over and place it on the towel.
- Carefully roll up cake in the towel and let it chill in the fridge until completely cool around an hour.
- To make the jelly, in a small saucepan, add lychee syrup, coconut milk, agar agar powder and sugar (if using) and heat up to boil. Constantly stir until agar agar and sugar is fully dissolved. Transfer to a bowl to let is cool slightly, about room temperature.
- Pour the jelly mixture into the jelly/chocolate mold, I’m using a heart shape mold.
- Then pour the remaining mixture into a loaf pan or any square bowl.
- Let both of the jellies set and cool in the refrigerator.
- To make the whipped cream, prepare the cake filling by whipping the heavy cream and sugar on high speed in the cake mixer until stiff peak, around 5 minutes. In a small bowl, add agar agar powder and water, stir well and microwave for 10 second.
- Turn the mixer on low speed, then add in the agar agar water together with the whipped cream until it just combined. Place the whipped cream in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
To fill the cake with cream and jelly:
- Use a small knife to run along 4 edges of the loaf pan with set jelly. Slice the jelly in a long strip. Remove the jelly from the loaf pan using a thin spatula, place on a flat plate and set aside.
- Carefully unroll the cake from the towel. Spread 1/3 of the whipped cream evenly on the cake then line the jelly on top of the cream. Cover the jelly with another 1/3 or less of the cream. Reserve 1/3 of cream for frosting.
- Gently roll up the cake and spread the remaining cream on the cake surface using a spatula.
- Top with lychee, small heart jelly and sprinkle some pistachio. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serve.
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤. I love seeing your creations!