Fresh homemade braided bread with matcha filling. Enjoy this bread with a cup of hot matcha latte as your breakfast or afternoon tea!
Another matcha recipe I’m sharing on my blog today after Matcha Chocolate Tart, Raspberry Matcha Chocolate Mousse, Crispy Matcha Cream Puffs etc ! I love matcha and I always want to try and incorporate matcha flavour in different types of bakery. This bread is fills with creamy matcha filling and shape into a braided loaf. It somehow looks like a baguette from the photo but it’s definitely not that long. 😅
This matcha braided bread is soft and sweet with a hint of bitterness from the matcha. I love to serve the bread with a cup of green tea or matcha latte. They are absolutely a perfect match. The best way to consume this bread is while it is warm. I recently found out the best trick to reheat bread is through a steaming method. I’m using an electric steamer to reheat the bread while I make my baby foods and the bread came out soft and fresh again after 5 minutes! Try it next time 😊
I’m using a loaf pan 27cm*8cm*7cm in this recipe and the bread came out long and thin, kind of like a petite baguette but soft and sweet in texture. If you like a taller bread, feel free to use a shorter loaf pan.
Refer to the picture below between 2 bread loaves with the same amount of ingredients but using different pan size. The second braided bread is fills with cheese filling. This recipe will be available in my next post. 😁
|Preparation Time: 3 hours||Cooking Time: 30 minutes||Serve: 6|
– 1 tsp dry active yeast
– 1/2 tsp sugar
– 100ml lukewarm water
– 375ml, 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
– 3tbsp sugar
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 egg yolk
– 1.5 tbsp soft unsalted butter
– 2 tbsp soft butter
– 2 tbsp sugar
– 1tsp matcha powder
(mix all ingredients)
– egg yolk + water
- In a small bowl, mix yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar and milk. Leave it for 10 minutes for the yeast to work or until you see bubbles on surface.
- In the mixer, sift in flour and mix with sugar and salt. Make a well, add in the egg, butter and yeast solutions. Beat on high speed for 10 minutes until dough is smooth and soft.
- Transfer bread dough to a glass bowl and cover up with plastic wrap. Let’s rest for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Once dough is rise, punch down to let the air bubble out. Put the dough on a well flour surface and knead it for a few minutes then roll it to a rectangle.
- Spread matcha filling onto the rolled dough then roll the bread into a log. Use a knife to cut the log into 2. Put the 2 logs side by side with fillings facing up then braid into a braided loaf.
- Transfer the dough into the loaf pan then let it rest for another hour until it doubled in size.
- Preheat oven for 170c, brush the bread with egg wash and bake it for 30 minutes. Check the bread at around 20 minutes mark, if it brown too much cover it with foil and continue bake until it cook through.
- Transfer bread to a cooling rack to cool down before remove it from the pan. Slice and enjoy!
If you like this Matcha braided bread recipe, you may also like to check out Red Bean Braided Bread.
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤ if you have an Instagram account. I love seeing your creations!