Super soft homemade cheese bread braided in cheddar cheese and sweet mayonnaise filling. Who can resist this savoury delicious bread that’s taste just like bakery style!
As mentioned on my Matcha Braided Bread page, this is the cheese bread loaf I’m talking about. The bread dough recipe is exactly the same with Matcha bread except it fills with cheese, mayonnaise and spring onions. I made both loaves at the same time so we get to taste the sweet and savoury loaves as per own preference. I couldn’t decide which one are better as they both taste delicious to me 😁 What is your preference over sweet or savoury loaf?
Cheese bread can often be found in most Asian bakery shop except they usually come in a single bun size. They have others varieties in family pack loaves but mostly sweet in flavours. Don’t get me wrong, I love sweet bread but sometimes you just crave for something savoury over sweet! This savoury bread with cheese fillings are the best fix to solve savoury craving, especially at night time without the need to turn on your cooking stove. 😅
This cheesy bread that fills with melt in your mouth cheddar cheese and creamy mayo, top with spring onion then rolled up into a braided shape is attractive and tasty! Enjoy a slice or two at any time you want.
|Preparation Time: 3 hours||Cooking Time: 30 minutes||Serve: 6 thick cut|
– 1 tsp dry active yeast
– 1/2 tsp sugar
– 100ml lukewarm water
– 375ml, 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
– 3tbsp sugar
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 egg yolk
– 1.5 tbsp soft unsalted butter
– 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
– 2 spring onion, finely chopped
– 1/2 tsp garlic powder
– 1/4 cup mayonnaise
(mix all ingredients)
– egg yolk + water
- In a small bowl, mix yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar and milk. Leave it for 10 minutes for the yeast to work or until you see bubbles on surface.
- In the mixer, sift in flour and mix with sugar and salt. Make a well, add in the egg, butter and yeast solutions. Beat on high speed for 10 minutes until dough is smooth and soft.
- Transfer bread dough to a glass bowl and cover up with plastic wrap. Let’s rest for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Once dough is rise, punch down to let the air bubble out. Put the dough on a well flour surface and knead it for a few minutes then roll it to a rectangle.
- Spread cheese filling onto the rolled dough then roll the bread into a log. Use a knife to cut the log into 2. Put the 2 logs side by side with fillings facing up then braid into a braided loaf.
- Transfer the dough into the loaf pan then let it rest for another hour until it doubled in size.
- Preheat oven for 170c, brush the bread with egg wash and bake it for 30 minutes. Check the bread at around 20 minutes mark, if it brown too much cover it with foil and continue bake until it cook through.
- Transfer bread to a cooling rack to cool down before remove it from the pan. Slice and enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤. I love seeing your creations!