This beet and zucchini cake is warm and nourishing. It packs with loads of vegetables with no added salt or sugar, making them the perfect first baby lead weaning cake!
I know when I mentioned this cake is BLW friendly, you probably think, hey hang on, are you sure? It look more like a standard cake to me! Yes, I can assure you this cake is for baby lead weaning and toddlers as no salt or sugar is added in this recipe. Obviously everyone can enjoy this healthy and delicious cake but they are specially made for your little one with wholesome ingredients.
This cake is best to give to your baby at around 9 months when he has a better chewing skill and is ready to explore a wider range of foods. When you serve the cake to your baby, cut it into finger size so they can pick up easily. There are walnuts in this cake recipe so make sure you done the nut allergy test before you offer it to him or else just opt out the nuts. Chop the walnuts finely before you mix them into the cake batter to prevent choking hazard! Or simply blend the walnuts for worry-free.
When I make this recipe, I baked it in a round cake pan 16cm*7cm in size and topped the cake with extra walnuts and coconut flakes. The baked coconut flakes add so much flavour to this cake, you whole house is fills with sweet scent from the coconut in minutes. This cake is surely a beauty, plus it is so healthy without adding any sugar, what a bonus! Having said that, if you have a sweet tooth and would like to enjoy the sweeten version of the cake, feel free to add 1/2-1 cup of sugar in this recipe according to your preference!
|Preparation Time: 10 minutes||Cooking Time : 1 hour||Serve: 6 OR 1 round cake pan 16cm*7cm|
– 1 cup oatmeal
– 1/2 cup self-raising flour
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp ground ginger
– 1/2 -1 cup sugar (optional)
– 2 large eggs
– 1 cup cooked beetroot, pureed
– 1 cup zucchini, grated
– 2/3 cup milk, I’m using baby formula
– 1/4 cup walnut, finely chopped or blend
– 1 tbsp chia seeds
– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
– 1/4 coconut flakes
- Preheat oven 180C, line baking paper on the bottom of your pan.
- In a bowl, add in all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Blend beet and zucchini with half of the milk until smooth. Add mixture into the bowl with dry ingredients.
- Pour in remaining milk and eggs.
- Whisk ingredients until well combined.
- Mix in chopped walnuts and chia seeds.
- Transfer batter into the cake pan, then top with extra walnuts and coconut flakes.
- Bake for an hour, cover with foil at around 10 minutes mark when coconut starts to brown, continue bake for another 50 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick inserted and comes out clean.
- Transfer cake on a cooling rack, let the cake cool down completely before remove it from the pan. Slice and enjoy!
Looking for more baby friendly recipes?
- Savoury Pea Cake
- Nutmeg Pancake with Chia Seeds
- Keto Zucchini and Carrot Fritters
- Bake Cheesy Barley Balls
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤ if you have an Instagram account. I love seeing your creations!