This Japanese style milk bread loaf is made by using discard sourdough starter and sweet potato puree. Soft, fluffy and pull-apart bread with an earthy flavour. You must try it!
SWEET POTATO SOURDOUGH JAPANESE MILK BREAD
Ever since I start making my own sourdough starter, I always search for new ideas to utilise the discard starter without waste. This recipe made a traditional soft, light and fluffy Japanese milk bread without using the water roux method. I love Tangzhong/water roux bread!! But since I have the discard sourdough starter handy, I replaced it with water roux. It works well and still give the bread a very light and airy texture with an addition of the earthy flavour from the sweet potato.
Want to find out bread recipe using Tangzhong? Check out Japanese Style Wholemeal Ring Loaf.
This sweet potato sourdough is lightly sweetened, it is perfect to serve it the way it is or toast it then spread with jam or butter. You can also make french toast with this bread the following day, it taste fresh and deliciously good make it the bread that you will go crazy for!
LET’S LOOK AT WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS SWEET POTATO SOURDOUGH JAPANESE MILK BREAD!
- Bread Flour (Unbleached)
- Milk (either fresh milk or powdered milk)
- Unfed sourdough starter
- Sweet potato puree
- Bread tin (20cm*11.5cm*10cm)
This recipe is the simplest bread recipe ever. A mixer with a hook is what you need to incorporate all the ingredients to a perfectly smooth dough. You don’t need any technique to make this recipe, no other cooking method as we opt out Tangzhong in this bread recipe. You also don’t need to let the dough ferments overnight as with the assistance of an addition yeast, it will doubled in size in an hour, depending on your room temperature.
Check out how soft and fluffy this pull-apart bread at the below video!
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤ if you have an Instagram account. I love seeing your creations!
MADE THIS RECIPE AND LOVE IT?
MADE THIS RECIPE AND LOVE IT?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends and family or on social media! Thank you so much for visiting my blog 😊
Super soft and fluffy Japanese milk bread with sweet potato flavour! This recipe is delicious and easy to make using unfed sourdough starter, make it a perfect breakfast choice!
Sweet potato sourdough japanese milk bread
|Prep time: 15 minutes||cooking time: 30 minutes||serve: 1 Loaf/10 slices|
– 3 cups unbleached bread flour
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup luke warm milk
– 1 tsp yeast
– 1 tbsp sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 1 cup sweet potato puree
– 1 cup unfed sourdough starter
– toast white sesame seed, to sprinkle (optional)
|– In a small bowl, add milk, yeast and sugar. Stir well and let it rest for 10 minutes until you see bubbles on the surface. |
– In your bread mixer, add the remaining ingredients. Pour yeast mixture into the mixer and beat on high speed for 5 minutes until dough is smooth and form into a ball.
– Transfer dough to a bowl and cover with wrap. Let it sit for an hour or until doubled in size
– Place the dough on a well flour surface, divide dough into 3 equally sized portions. Roll each out to a rectangle size and roll up the dough into a log from the shorter side.
– Place dough into the greased pan. Repeat the remaining 2 dough. Cover and let it rest for 45 – 60 minutes.
– Preheat oven to 180 C, once the dough has risen as per above picture, brush it with oil or egg wash, sprinkle sesame on top. Place it into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
– Transfer to a cooling rack and let it cool down completely before slice.