Fluffy chocolate spongy cake rolled up with smooth cocoa whipped cream filling. This beautiful Japanese Swiss roll is great for any occasion. Grab a slice before it all gone!
Japanese style Swiss roll is one of my favourite cake recipe. This light flavour dessert is great to eat at anytime of the day. Whenever I pay a trip to the Asian bakery back in Melbourne, this cake is always on my must grab list! Swiss roll cake base is similar to chiffon cake, both give you the lightest and fluffiest texture except Swiss roll rolled up in a soft and smooth light cream filling.
Check out my tri-colour chiffon cake recipe below:
If you like a light and creamy but not-too-sweet type of dessert, you must check out this cake recipe! This stunning Japanese style Chocolate Swiss Roll owns the look and taste. It is made by a light and airy chocolate cake base, rolled up with light cocoa whipped cream and piped with extra cream before serve.
This cake recipe is easy to make and less time consuming compared to the frosted layered cakes. If you still think it is difficult to make by the look of it, try it! You will be surprise how fast and easy to make this dessert. Throw one on a party table next time to impress your guest!
LET’S LOOK AT WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE JAPANESE CHOCOLATE SWISS ROLL
- Chilled eggs white
- Egg yolk
- Vegetable oil
- Cake flour
- Cocoa powder
Chocolate Whipped Cream + Piping
- Whipped cream
- Gelatin +water
- Cocoa powder
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤. I love seeing your creations!
MADE THIS RECIPE AND LOVE IT?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends and family or on social media! Thank you so much for visiting my blog 😊
A delicate soft and spongy Chocolate flavour Japanese Swiss roll filled with creamy chocolate whipped cream. This ultimate dessert is great for any celebration or enjoy it at home! Easy to make recipe, great to make a day ahead!
JapANESE CHOCOLATE SWISS ROLL
|Prep time: 20 minutes||cooking time: 12 minutes||serve: 6|
– 3 large eggs white, chilled
– 2 tbsp sugar
– 3 large eggs yolk
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1 tbsp oil
– pinch of salt
– 2/3 cup sifted cake flour
– 2 tbsp cocoa powder
|Chocolate Whipped Cream + Piping|
– 300g heavy whipping cream
– 2 tbsp sugar
– 1/8 tsp agar agar powder
– 2 tbsp water
– 1 tbsp cocoa powder
– chocolate sprinkles (optional)
|– Preheat oven to 170C, place a baking sheet on the baking pan. If you have a roll pan you can always use it. Otherwise, just fold the 4 edges of the sheet for about an inch to hold the batter. 25cm*17cm in size|
– To make cake batter : Beat eggs white in a cake mixer on high speed and slowly add in 2 tbsp of sugar. Beat until eggs white reach stiff peak about 4-5 minutes. Transfer meringue to a bowl and set aside.
– Pour egg yolks to the mixer and slowly add in 1/4 cup sugar, on high speed beat until mixture is lighten in colour about 2-3 minutes. Mix in veg oil and salt, beat until well incorporated and creamy in texture. Add sifted cake flour and cocoa powder and on low speed beat until batter is smooth with no lump.
– Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, use a whisk to gently incorporate to lighten the batter. Add in the remaining egg whites and gently whisk until it well combined. Do not over beat.
– Pour the cake batter on top of the baking sheet and spread out evenly using a spatula.
– Bake for 12-15 minutes until toothpick come back clean and cake spring back when touch.
– Meanwhile, sprinkle some icing sugar on top of a clean towel. Then place the warm cake on top of a clean baking sheet with clean face down and slowly peel of the baking sheet. Flip the cake over and place it on the towel.
– Carefully roll up cake in the towel and let it chill in the fridge until completely cool around an hour.
– To make the whipped cream, prepare the cake filling by whipping the heavy cream, sugar and cocoa powder on high speed in the cake mixer until stiff peak, around 5 minutes. In a small bowl, add agar agar powder and water, stir well and microwave for 10 second.
– Turn the mixer on low speed, add agar agar water and beat until it just combined. Place the whipped cream in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
To assemble the cake
– Carefully unroll the cake from the towel. Lay the cake on top of a plastic wrap. Spread 1/2-2/3 of the cream mixture evenly over the sponge. Sprinkle chocolate sprinkles if desired.
– Gently roll up the cake. Transfer the remaining cream into a piping bag fills with the star noddle. Pipe according to the design that you like. Chilled for 2 hours before serve.