Ultimate sourdough banana bread packs with an incredibly soft crumb and a pure banana flavour. A healthy breakfast idea with low sugar content that is perfect for anyone!
This sourdough banana bread is a brilliant idea to use up your sourdough starter and ripe bananas. With the addition of the sourdough starter and dark brown sugar, this banana bread is remarkably soft, scrumptious but not overly sweet.
A banana bread that is unique and different from the traditional banana bread recipe. To describe this in further details, this banana bread is more like a soft bread that has a fluffy texture, strong banana flavour but mild in taste whereas the classic banana bread is moist and sweeter in texture and taste, leaning towards a cake category.
Check out my classic No-fail banana bread loaf
WHAT’S MAKE THIS SOURDOUGH BANANA BREAD SO DELICIOUS
Super ripe bananas! Using overly ripe bananas with plenty of dark spots is the key to make this bread naturally sweetened and delicious.
Dark brown sugar instead of white sugar! This will give the bread an extra moisture and a sweet molasses flavour.
Bread flour instead of all-purpose flour! Bread flour in general has a higher protein content to helps with gluten development. This means you get a softer and fluffier bread.
Rest the dough! I know rest the dough. This banana bread recipe required an hour of resting time before you send it to the oven. This way it allows the gluten to relax and achieve a fluffier result.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE
Subscribe for all recipes inspiration delivered to your inbox!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE SOURDOUGH BANANA BREAD
- Super ripe bananas
- Active sourdough starter (100% hydration)
- Dark brown sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Bread flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking powder
HOW TO MAKE SOURDOUGH BANANA BREAD
1 Mash bananas using a fork
2 Combine all the dry ingredients except sugar
3 Add sourdough starter, egg, sugar, vegetable oil and milk into the dry ingredients mixture. Stir to combine.
4 Add mashed banana and use a hand mixer to beat on high speed for 5 minutes.
5 Transfer batter to a grease round tin, cover with plastic wrap and let’s rest at a warm place for an hour. You can see some tiny bubbles on the batter surface, this means the levain has started to do it job as the batter is fermented. 😉
6 Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C for 50-55 minutes.
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤ if you have an Instagram account. I love seeing your creations!
MADE THIS RECIPE AND LOVE IT?
MADE THIS RECIPE AND LOVE IT?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends and family or on social media! Thank you so much for visiting my blog 😊
SOURDOUGH BANANA BREAD
|Prep time: 15 minutes|
Resting Time : 1 hour
|cooking time: 55 minutes|
Total time : 2 hours 10 minutes
|serve: 8 thick slices|
– 2 cups bread flour
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
– 2 ripe bananas, mashed
– 1 cup active sourdough starter
– 1 large egg
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil
– 1 cup milk
|– In a small bowl, mash bananas using a fork or a masher. Set aside.|
– In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients except sugar and whisk to combine.
– Add sourdough starter, egg, sugar, veg oil and milk. Stir to combine.
– Add mashed bananas and use a hand mixer to beat on high speed for 5 minutes until mixture is smooth and well incorporate. The batter will be very runny.
– Transfer batter to a grease round tin, and let’s rest at a warm place for 1 hour or until you see tiny bubbles showing on batter surface. The batter will expand slightly but not doubled in size.
– Baked in the preheated oven at 180°C for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted and comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let’s cool down for 30 minutes before remove from the pan. Slice and enjoy!