Quick Asian style stir fry noodles with prawns! Ready in 20 minutes
If you are from a Southeast Asia background, you probably have tried this stir fry noodles many times. Back home, we called this prawn stir fry flat noodles as Char Kway Teow. This is one of the most popular and classic stir fry noodles dish that you can easily find in any hawker food stalls in Malaysia and Singapore.
The main ingredients in this recipe are prawns and flat noodles. The freshness of the prawns with a hint of garlic & chillies, combined with some fresh vegetables and noodles stir fry in a hot wok make this dish absolutely irresistible. Oh yes, with the eggs too! If you have kids at home who would like to share the meal, just leave out the chilli and sprinkle on your own plate when yous serve.
The traditional Char Kway Teow ingredients used fresh prawns, Chinese sausages, cockles, bean sprouts, chives and sambal chilli (an Asian style chilli paste) stir fry in a hot wok with flat noodles and eggs. My version of Kway Teow consists of prawns, baby broccoli, bok choy and carrot with the noodles and eggs. Reason 1 being, I’m using seasonal fresh vegetables for convenient purposes and reason 2 – those ingredients are children friendly 😉.
This 20 minutes meal is just perfect to serve as a quick dinner or lunch pretty much anytime. You can get the fresh flat rice noodles from your local Asian grocery store.
|Preparation Time: 8 minutes||Cooking Time: 12 minutes||Serve: 4|
– 1 packet of fresh flat noodles, about 1 kg
– 16 medium size prawns, remove the veins either with shells on or remove the shells
– 1 bunch of baby broccoli, sliced
– 2 bunches of bok choy, sliced
– 1 carrot, sliced
– 4 gloves of garlic, minced
– 1 tbsp ginger, minced
– vegetables oil for stir fry, 3-4 tbsp
– 4 eggs, whisked
– coriander/cilantro to sprinkle
– 3 bird eyes chillies, sliced
– 3 tbsp soy sauce
– 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
– 2 tbsp sesame oil
– 1 tbsp salt
– 1 tbsp sugar
– 1 tbsp fish sauce
– 3 tbsp water
- In a small bowl, whisk up the sauce and set aside.
- Clean the prawns, remove veins and shells (I keep the shells in this recipe). Cut all the vegetables.
- Heat up your wok, add 2 tbsp of oil over the wok and add in garlic and ginger (chilli too if adding). Give it a quick stir then add in the prawns, continue to cook on high heat, stir occasionally until the prawns turned pink and fragrance. Transfer the prawns to a plate.
- Keep the oil in the wok, add in all the fresh vegetables and give it a good stir for a couple of minutes. Add 1 tbsp of the sauce if it get too dry. Keep stirring until the vegetable is cooked.
- Move the vegetables to the side of the wok (you can transfer the vegetables to a plate if this is too hard to handle), add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil on high heat, add the flat noodles in the wok, stir and break the noodles. Add in sauce and stir vigorously to mix well. You want to make sure the wok is hot with high heat to get the stir fry effect.
- Use a spatula to push the noodles to one side, add in the eggs. Flip the noodles to cover the eggs and let sit for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the prawns and vegetables back into the wok, continue to stir fry, make sure the eggs are cooked. Transfer to the plates and sprinkle with chilli and coriander. Serve warm and enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear how it went in the comments below. Snap a photo and tag @dreamtocookblog with #dreamtocook❤ if you have an Instagram account. I love seeing your creations!
6 thoughts on “Garlic Prawns Stir Fry Flat Noodles”
This looks tempting will surely try!
LikeLiked by 2 people
Oh thank you! This is delicious 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person